To connect to a desktop session for using Graphical User Interface (GUI) applications on Rosalind a VNC client is required. Any VNC client can be used but an SSH tunnel to the login nodes is required so we recommend VNC clients here that have that functionality built-in.
- Install the latest version available from the Remmina site
- Create a new connection profile with the following settings:
- Name: Rosalind
- Protocol: VNC - VNC viewer
- Server: <IP address>:<port> (received from the
- User password: <password> (received from the
- SSH Tunnel Tab
- Enable SSH Tunnel
- User name: <your KCL username>
- Password: <your password>
- Click "Save and Connect"
- Install the latest version from the TurboVNC site.
- Run "Java TurboVNC Viewer" (n.b. it is necessary to run the Java version of the viewer for the ssh tunneling support).
- Click "Options", on the "Security" tab enter the following settings:
- SSH user: <your KCL username>
- Check "Use VNC server as gateway"
- Click "OK"
- Enter the VNC server: <IP address>:<port> (received from the
- Click Yes to the SSH fingerprint prompt
- Enter your password at the SSH Password prompt
- Enter the password received from the
alces sessioncommand at the VNC authentication prompt
Open the terminal and create an ssh tunnel that will forward port 5900 to the <remote port> on the <IP address> host, e.g.:
ssh -NL 5900:localhost:<port> <username>@<IP address>
<username>is your KCL username and both
<IP address>are given in the output of the
Finder -> Go -> Connect to serverand as the connection string use
<username>is your KCL username.
Enter the password received from the
alces sessioncommand at the VNC authentication prompt.
When the ssh command executes successfully you will not see any feedback on the screen. Make sure that you do not close the terminal window, or exit the ssh command as that will terminate your vnc session.